Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Answers for the Soul

The other night I volunteered at the Missionary Training Center. I was an investigator for two Spanish-speaking sister missionaries to teach. After expressing excitement for me about my upcoming mission, I asked if they had any advice. They proceeded to tell me about an experience they had when they were told to think of a question they had, then take 20 minutes to read and pray about it and get an answer. They both had doubted they would be able to get an answer in 20 minutes, but they both had touching experiences they shared with me.

They told me to use the Book of Mormon to find answers to my own questions, to read it with a question or a person in mind.  I have done that since, and answers truly do abound in the Book of Mormon.

The Book of Mormon answers questions of the soul. Who hasn't wondered,

"Is there a God?"
"Is there a purpose to life?"
"Where did I come from?"
"What will happen after this life?"

The Book of Mormon answers those questions! It was written for our day! It was written for YOU!

It not only answers the big questions that I just mentioned, but it also answers questions that are unique to you, the little questions of your heart.
The Book of Mormon - Another testament of Jesus Christ

Today I finished reading the Book of Mormon again. I thought about the many hours I have spent over my life reading this same book and the moments I've had with it. When I was eight years old I started reading one verse every night, and I have read it every night since (I've graduated to longer amounts of reading, thank goodness). I remember many precious times with my scriptures when my heart was so full. Even if you don't understand what you're reading all of the time, the Spirit of the Book of Mormon will bring you closer to God than any other book could.

If you have not read the Book of Mormon, what have you got to lose? It has blessed the lives of millions of people and can bless your life, too. I know that it is the word of God. I know that it testifies of Jesus Christ.  The best part is that you don't have to take my word for it, you can read it and then ask God yourself if it is true.

P.S. Yesterday I bought a Book of Mormon and hymn book in Guarani, the indigenous language of Paraguay.  Most books are not translated into Guarani, an obscure language that only a few million people in Paraguay speak. But the Book of Mormon? It's worth whatever it takes to bring it to every corner of the earth.

2 comments:

  1. Cameron, it is just like the Bible in that the Bible is the word of God, and it testifies of Jesus Christ as our Savior. We believe that the Book of Mormon contains the full gospel of Jesus Christ. It talks about our need to have faith, to repent, to be baptized, and to follow Christ throughout our lives. It is a record kept by people in ancient America that God gave to one of the prophets, Joseph Smith, and helped him translate it into English. Click the link in my post to read more about it, or message me with more questions. I'd be happy to send you a Book of Mormon and highlight my favorite verses. :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...