Monday, November 21, 2011

Light in the Tunnel

It may be BYU's best-kept secret. It's never advertised. You just have to know. 

On Sunday nights at 10 p.m. you can find BYU students huddled in groups under the tunnel leading to the Marriot Center. They have braved the cold to sing hymns together for an hour or so.  Some nights there are just 30 or 40, other nights, there isn't enough room for the couple hundred.  It's a beautiful sight to see and hear: scores of young people singing about their conviction to fight with sin, their testimonies of Jesus Christ, their knowledge of where true peace comes from, and the joys of the gospel.
Half-way through, the head guy (I don't know how he got his top-man position) shouts, "It's that time again!" and everyone sits down. Newly-called missionaries announce their calls and everyone claps. Then everyone sings "Called to Serve" with extreme zeal. 

Last night I went with my roommate Jamie.

(I love this girl.)
And for once, I didn't just listen to missionary calls. I announced mine.

Hope and Logan joined us!

It reminded me of when Hope and I went tunnel singing two years ago when she visited me my freshman year.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love BYU?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...